Getting Magnet links to work with uTorrent when using Chrome – Fixed
So after a certain site decided to not host .torrent files and switch over to magnet links, I had a problem getting Chrome to open magnet links automatically in uTorrent. After reading up on the news, I poked around on uTorrent and Chrome to see if I can get it working, but no luck. I just dealt with it for awhile, but today I just got annoyed. If you were like me, this is what you had to do in order to grab a file using the magnet link.
- Find torrent.
- Right click the little magnet icon in Chrome.
- Launch uTorrent.
- Click “Add Torrent from URL”
- Paste magnet link into field, press enter.
- Download Starts.
6 steps, not bad if you just wanted to download a file or two. Way too annoying for anything more than that.
Let’s go into the fix. Please note that I’ve only tried this on my computer. I’m running the latest version of Chrome (17.0.963.83 m) and uTorrent (3.1.2) on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.
First, let’s check your registry.
- Hit windows key.
- Type in “regedit” without the quotes.
- Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Magnet\shell\open\command\
- This is what you’ll see (below)
Now, where the arrow is pointing – you want to make sure that is where your uTorrent is located. I have mine located in a different folder than the default install directory, so watch out for that.
- Next, navigate to the following folder. C:\Users\[your_user_name]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data
- Close Chrome Completely. (The first time I did this, I didn’t close Chrome, so my changes didn’t get saved)
- Edit the “Local State” file. To do this, you can right click on the file> Open With (Other Programs)>Notepad. Alternatively, you can open up Notepad first and drag “Local State” into Notepad.
- Hit Ctrl+F and look for “magnet”
- You want to make sure this is what you see “magnet”: false, for me, it started out as true. Edited: Many of you have mentioned that if there is no reference of “magnet” in your “Local State” file, you can go ahead and manually add in the following line: “magnet”: false
- Save and close file
- Boom. Done.
Good luck. Hope it helped out.